I’m not a cake guy. Mind you, I love eating cake. I’m just not into baking cakes. Perhaps because cake baking is an exacting science with tried-and-true ratios that require you to weigh your ingredients to get the perfect outcome. I’m much too lazy to do that. I’m also not into decorating things. I like beauty that is inherent, not additive. There is so much cake decorating in baking cakes – I just can’t get into it. It’s like fancy cuts in bread – not into it. Which is why I love the Basic No-Knead Bread recipe that I started this blog with. It’s got a natural, rustic crack that develops in the baking process.
But when it comes to bundt cakes, I’m all over it! When I discovered Nordic Ware Bundt Pans, I was in love! They come out from the oven looking fabulous without any decorating necessary. You can sprinkle a little powdered sugar for an easy way to bring out the shape. And even if you drizzle over a glaze or sauce, it is so easy to make it look beautiful. It’s almost foolproof!
These are the 3 unusual regular size bundt pans I own. But they have a lot more. And don’t ask me about the mini bundt pans I also own. BTW, I don’t earn anything from the reference links (but I wish I did).
Let’s get to this.
Olive Oil Cake with Balsamic Roasted Blueberries
Olive Oil Cake:
3/4 cup almond flour
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp corn starch
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
5 large eggs
2/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Oil large bundt pan and set aside.
2. Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients.
4. Gradually pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold together. Fill the bundt pan with batter and bake for 45-50 minutes until tester comes out clean.
5. Allow cake to cool for 5-10 minutes on wire rack before inverting onto a plate.
Roasted Balsamic Blueberries, optional:
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
2 tablespoons maple syrup
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a small bowl whisk together maple syrup and sea salt. Toss together with blueberries. Arrange the berries in a single layer and roast for 30 minutes with the olive oil cake.
2. Remove from the oven and top with balsamic vinegar. Toss together and place in a small bowl to cool.
3. Serve over olive oil cake.
1. Add 1/2 tsp almond extract
2. Add 2 tsp zest
3. Sprinkle oiled bundt pan with sugar
4. For a simple finish, dust with powdered sugar
5. Use a Honey Lemon Glaze: 1 T. honey. 1 T. lemon juice, 1 T. milk, 1 tsp. lemon zest, 1 ½ cups powdered sugar.